September 3, 2009

Green & Organized

Two weeks ago I was asked to write an Organizing piece for a prominent Design show's website. I'm not yet able to reveal who it was for as it's not posted yet, but the goal was to incorporate loads of storage ideas into a garage area all while making it organized too. I listed a bunch of useful ideas, many of which were free or very inexpensive involving existing items that could be reused another way. I wanted to share one in particular with you.

I was reminded of it as I sit in my office. In front of me are two magazine holders that I picked up from the AS-IS section at Ikea, oh how I love that store! These are great because I keep a different category of magazines in each one and then place them in the holder by date. If you're like me and you love to stay organized and are looking for new ways to be more green, try this homemade magazine holder made from a cereal box.

Existing Ikea Magazine Holder (used as my template):


Step 1:


Cut the top off of a cereal box, the wider and larger, the better! You'll want to cut from the top on a diagonal leaving about an inch from where the side and top meet. Do the same to the other side as well.



Step 2:


Use some existing wrapping paper in your preferred color and cover the box. I recommend wrapping it all the way around so you know for sure the exact circumference. Then take tape and fold the bottom tabs in place, like a present. Leave the top and diagonal piece for last. You will have to use your scissors and make some small incisions so the paper can fold inside. You can trim back any excess as well. Fold everything in and place your magazines inside.

Voila! Instant Magazine Holder in under 5 minutes! You can't beat FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you. Comments brighten our day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails